The AMP offers internships at Art Monastery Italia throughout the year. Internships are designed for a college junior, college senior, or recent college graduates who are looking for professional experience in art and arts administration as well as an Italian adventure in this art monastic community. Participating in a bi-lingual environment with a professional staff, this is a one-of-a-kind experience to work closely with international artists and the Art Monastery team.
About the Program
The internship program is important to the Art Monastery because it:
- offers valuable career-building experience to college students and recent grads
- connects more established artists and administrators with emerging artists and arts administrators
- offers inspiring life experience that has the potential to empower interns to intentionally shape their own lives
- expands and deepens our network of like-minded souls
Interns’ experiences depend on the time of year of the internship, as well as the skills and interests of the intern. Summer is our high season of live performance events. During this time there is a particular need for interns to assist with stage management responsibilities and arts production. During the spring and fall, interns have the opportunity to study arts administration and marketing and assist the Executive Director in administrative and translation work. Regardless of when interns chooses to participate, they will leave with valuable experience for their resumes and will be equipped to work with a wide range of artistic and production challenges.
Role and Responsibilities
All internships are individually designed to fit the skills, needs, and educational interests of the intern. Potential responsibilities include:
- coordinate/type/print/distribute complex daily schedule (which is an important element of our monastic community)
- help with marketing initiatives
- communicate with hotel staff to coordinate rehearsal or event space
- write marketing and publicity copy
- assist the Executive Director and Artistic Director of the Art Monastery
- make phone calls in Italian and translate copy (skills permitting)
- take notes in rehearsals (more likely in the summer)
- develop & run technical aspects of the show in performance (more likely in the summer)
- set up and break down rehearsal space (practice Leave No Trace) – daily sweep, move furniture, run extension cords, etc. (more likely in the summer)
- assist in installing visual art exhibitions (more likely in the spring and fall)
- assist event production
As with all of our community members, there are also opportunities to do gardening, cooking, cleaning, driving shuttle, welcoming guests, maintenance of buildings and grounds, etc. Knowledge of Italian language, geography, culture, and art history are a plus but not required.
“I feel profoundly changed by my experience.”
– Christina Vani, intern 2011
All interns, along with Artmonks-in-Residence, volunteers, and staff, become part of the monastic intentional community for the entirety of their stay. We will share lunch and dinner every day, participate in cooking, cleaning, and chores, as well as other community activities, and explore elements of contemporary monasticism as a group (meditation, ritual, etc.). Although we are a secular community, we are deeply interested in a wide range spiritual practices and we welcome others who are ready to engage art and spirit in similarly profound ways. All participants should be actively lit up by all of these elements. We hope that the Art Monastery will challenge each individual creatively, spiritually, and inter-personally; that the community will deeply investigate art monasticism; and that this process of art making will yield professional, high-quality products.
Board & Accommodation
We offer accommodation, a comprehensive meal plan that includes local food and an amazing international work experience. Highlights include home-made yogurt at breakfast, local wine with dinner every night, and great conversations around the dinner table with world-traveled artists and like-minded souls.
Interns typically pay €1,000 per month of internship, not including transport to Italy (actual price may vary depending on time of year and location). Ideally, internships last for one month or more.
The working language at Art Monastery Italia is English, but Italian speaking skills are a huge bonus. This is a full-time position (8 hours/day), but interns have a day and a half off per week to relax, hike, explore nearby towns, or explore private artistic pursuits.
Join us and co-create a beautiful experience!
The Art Monastery Project is a unique place, an idealistic start-up that is an exciting experiment. The ideal intern is open-minded, kind-hearted, and enthusiastic about the adventure of living with a bunch of creative, big-spirited, hard-working Americans in the Italian countryside. It’s going to be great. Trust us.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Ideally internships are arranged at least 30 days in advance. Please direct any questions to email@example.com.
To apply now, fill out the online application.